- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Amazon Prime
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
Amazon Prime has finally been rolled out to India, though, it was expected to be launched end of 2015, Amazon.in did not prefer to delay the launch and has rolled out partial Prime membership services. So, are you wondering what is Prime membership and is it worth paying the membership fee ?
I’ll explain on how the membership works that can help you decide if you really need to go for it.
In simple terms Amazon Prime = Amazon fulfilled + Unlimited free and fast delivery + 30 minute early access to lightning deals.
Here’s a snapshot of Amazon Prime benefits
- Free One-Day and Two-Day delivery to over hundred cities in India (One-day deliveries are usually charged ₹ 100 for non-prime customers)
- Get discounted shipping rates for same-day, morning and scheduled delivery in Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad
- 30 minute early access to lightning deals
- Member-only exclusive deals
What does it cost?
Regular membership services start from ₹ 999.00 per year, however, as an introductory offer, Amazon.in is offering Prime membership price at ₹ 499.00 a year.
What is missing?
Amazon.in has decided to go with a phased roll out approach instead of big-bang way. Amazon Prime plans to roll-out Prime Videos later this year (likely November-16). Prime videos brings you content from across the globe and India, this includes international cartoon TV shows, International movies, Indian movies, documentary videosIt is obvious that the Prime membership services will be compared to that of other countries where Amazon Prime is offered.
Amazon Prime in USA has been rated the best membership program for its wide range of benefits. Here’s what is missing or a wish-list to be launched in India
- Prime Photos – unlimited photo storage on Amazon cloud drive
- Prime Pantry – Recurring low priced grocery, household and pet care items
- Prime Music – Unlimited, ad-free access to hundreds of playlists for every occasion, over a million songs on offer
- Kindle First – Early access to books and members can download a new book free every month
- Amazon Mom – Offers almost 20% of diapers and other eligible products
- FreeTime Unlimited – This brings tons of kid-friendly content and you could even watch them offline (download)
Well, you get what you pay for, Amazon Prime membership in the US costs $99.00 (Approx ₹ 6700.00). These benefits are likely to be rolled out to India in the near future as Amazon.in has been heavily investing in India, but, you can also expect a drastic change in the membership fee too.
Should I subscribe to Amazon Prime ?
The roadmap for Prime membership looks great, it is in very initial stages of the membership where customers just get free one and two day deliveries. If you are a frequent online buyer, it is worth signing up and you could recover your membership fee in 5 orders. The only downside here is that you will have to look for Prime eligible products, which can be marginally higher priced when compared to non-prime, I mean the same product can be offered in Prime and non-prime category by different sellers on Amazon. But, a few bucks more will definitely give you more peace of mind when you are shopping online. All Prime products are Amazon fulfilled, which in simple terms is hassle free.